Thursday, April 25, 2013
The county's top five news stories for the month of April shouldn't be missed.
It's hard to keep track of all the sources of news out there. Thankfully, Patch is here to package it all up nicely for you. Even with a frequent eye on the sites, you are bound to miss a few good stories. With over 12 sites in the county, it's nearly impossible to read the best items. Of course, we have a way to make that easier for you, too. Check out these top five stories from Montgomery County Patch sites for the month of April. Did you miss a hot aritcle? Now's your chance to catch up on the latest buzz. Here are the must-see headlines: Did you have a favorite we missed? Share the link in the comments below, so other readers can enjoy a great story just like you.
Monday, March 18, 2013
A dryer full of clothes caught fire Monday morning at the Premiere Laundromat on Byberry Road.
Multiple fire companies were called out to the Pine Valley Shopping Center shortly after 11 a.m. this morning. A dryer full of clothes caught fire at Premiere Laundromat, 159 Byberry Rd, at the border of Lower Moreland Township and Philadelphia. Crews put the fire out and sprayed down the clothes outside on the sidewalk at the business in between Illiano's Restaurant and Rita's Water Ice on Byberry Road. Officials said a bundle of clothes caught fire in a dryer, and smoke continued to fill the store as crews worked to extinguish the fire.
Friday, January 18, 2013
Firefighters respond to a fire at Willow Lake, a senior housing facility in Willow Grove.
An elderly victim was flown by medical helicopter to a burn center in Philadelphia after a blaze at the Upper Moreland retirement home where they live. A fire sprinkler system held the fire to just one room in a residential unit at the Willow Lake community on York Road, Willow Grove Fire Company Chief Brian Focht said. The victim suffered burns at around 6 p.m. and is being treated at the burn center at Temple University Hospital, Focht said. A medical helicopter landed at Upper Moreland High School to transport the victim. Smoke and water damage on the third floor of the assisted living community are causing some residents of the community to be relocated, officials said. Focht said several extra ambulances were brought in to assist with…
Friday, October 5, 2012
As many as 40 housing units and 100 residents have been affected by the fire, the Red Cross says.
Friday, June 29, 2012
A reported garage fire occurred early this morning.
[Updated noon] A structure fire was reported early this morning in Huntingdon Valley. According to Willow Grove Volunteer Fire Chief Lee Perlmutter, the call went out at 7:51 a.m. for a outside garage on the property of 1601 Huntingdon Road. According to Perlmutter, a passing motorist alerted the owner of smoke on his property. Fire crews from Willow Grove Fire Company Squad 10, Engine 10 arrived on scene with responders from Bryn Athyn Engine 11 and Abington Ladder 100. According to Perlmutter, the fire crews were able to control the garage within 20 minutes on arrival. Perlmutter added that a hazmatt team was also called, due to the presence of gasoline containers in the garage. The fire is being considered accidental in nature, …
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
The two-alarm fire in the Morrisville section of Falls Township drew a response from across Bucks County.
Firefighters from all parts of Bucks County and several New Jersey communities battled a large blaze at SIMS Metal Management in the Morrisville section of Falls Township Tuesday, working well into the evening. One employee of the metal recycling yard on Steel Road suffered minor smoke inhalation injuries but refused to be taken to the hospital, Falls Township Fire Co. Chief Mike McClellan said. Thick black smoke from the blaze could be seen from miles around and was blown by a light wind toward Trenton, N.J. The fire was reported in a 100-foot-long, 35-foot-high pile of stacked vehicles set to be recycled at around 3:35 p.m., McClellan said. When the chief left his home to respond to the call, smoke from the fire could be seen from his …