As part of their acceptance to the "Swing Central Jazz Festival" in Savannah, Georgia, the Lower Moreland Jazz Ensemble will be receiving a guest clinic by renowned jazz trombone player Wycliffe Gordon.
Gordon, who is a clinician in the festival, will come to the High School on Feb. 21 for a two-and-a-half-hour session to get the the LM musicians ready for the festival. It will take place in the High School band room from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The Lower Moreland Jazz Ensemble was selected as one of only 12 high school jazz ensembles from across the country to be invited to perform in this festival after submitting a recorded audition to the Swing Central Jazz judges. LM also qualified for the competition last year under the direction of Erin Stroup.
This year, the competing schools are as follows:
- Agoura High School Jazz “A” from Agoura High School (Agoura Hills, CA)
- Charleston School of the Arts Jazz from Charleston School of the Arts (Charleston, SC)
- Camden Creative Arts Jazz Band from Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy (Camden, NJ)
- Denver School of the Arts Jazz Workshop Orchestra from Denver School of the Arts (Denver, CO)
- Downers Grove South High School Jazz Ensemble from Downers Grove South High School (Downers Grove, IL)
- Grissom High School “A” Jazz Band from Grissom High School (Huntsville, AL)
- Lower Moreland High School Jazz Ensemble from Lower Moreland High School (Huntingdon Valley, PA)
- Overton High School Blue Jazz Ensemble from Overton High School (Memphis, TN)
- Savannah Arts Academy Jazz Band One from Savannah Arts Academy (Savannah, GA)
- Tarpon Springs High School Jazz Ensemble I from Tarpon Springs High School (Tarpon Springs, FL)
- The Lovett School Jazz Ensemble from The Lovett School (Atlanta, GA)
The 2013 SWING CENTRAL JAZZ clinician team includes: