Throughout the year the Lower Moreland Music Boosters host a variety of events in an effort to raise money for the talented music program at Lower Moreland High School.
Earlier this month the boosters hosted a pasta dinner fundraiser to help with costs to send the students to Savannah, Georgia next week to compete in the national Swing Jazz Festival. With the help of the community, they were able to raise $3,000.
"The Pasta Dinner was a great success thanks to the Lower Moreland community, volunteers and donors, raising over $3,000 for the LMHS Jazz Ensemble to help with the costs of traveling to Savannah" Cindy Ahern said.
Lower Moreland was one of 12 schools across the country selected to participate in the event. It is the second straight year the band will attend.
They will participate in three days of clinics, workshops, concerts and performances with some of the greatest jazz musicians in the world.
In 2013, the nationally recognized Swing Central Jazz program features the following bands going head-to-head for $13,000 in cash awards:
- Agoura High School Jazz “A” from Agoura High School (Agoura Hills, CA)
- Charleston School of the Arts Jazz from Charleston School of the Arts (Charleston, SC)
- Camden Creative Arts Jazz Band from Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy (Camden, NJ)
- Denver School of the Arts Jazz Workshop Orchestra from Denver School of the Arts (Denver, CO)
- Downers Grove South High School Jazz Ensemble from Downers Grove South High School (Downers Grove, IL)
- Grissom High School “A” Jazz Band from Grissom High School (Huntsville, AL)
- Lower Moreland High School Jazz Ensemble from Lower Moreland High School (Huntingdon Valley, PA)
- Overton High School Blue Jazz Ensemble from Overton High School (Memphis, TN)
- Savannah Arts Academy Jazz Band One from Savannah Arts Academy (Savannah, GA)
- Tarpon Springs High School Jazz Ensemble I from Tarpon Springs High School (Tarpon Springs, FL)
- The Lovett School Jazz Ensemble from The Lovett School (Atlanta, GA)