Dancing with Spanish Stars Lights Up Lower Moreland [Video]
The 6th annual Dancing with the Spanish Stars competition took place Wednesday night at Lower Moreland High School.
It has become one of the premiere events at Lower Moreland High School.
Based off the popular TV show on ABC, the 6th annual Dancing with the Spanish Stars featured student and teacher couples performing traditional Latin dances in front of a packed house at LMHS.
There were 17 dances in all at this year's competition made up of high school students, teachers, professional dancers, as well as a junior couple from Pine Road and Murray Avenue.
"This year we were very lucky," Spanish Club advisor Renee Van Naarden said. "We got many student couples and faculty couples all who wanted to throw their hat in the ring and challenge themselves to try something new. It is our goal to inspire others students and other teachers and other people to reach out of their contort zone and do something new and different."
Professional dancer and former Lower Moreand graduate Amanda Spivak has helped students choreograph their dances over the years, and last night marked her final performance with the show due to time constraints in an effort to pursue her career.
Students Yuriy Zakalyuzhnyy and Gabby Natter captured the mirror ball trophy as the 2013 Dancing with the Spanish Stars winners.
"It's a great experience," Spanish Club President Ali Shain said. "You learn how to perfect and get involved with everybody that's involved in Spanish Club. It's one of the largest clubs at our school."
Metramedia was on-hand last night to capture all of the magic.
If you watch the video, here is the order of appearances and the dances they performed:
- Val Panyashenko and Amanda Spivack (Pink Panther)
- Patty Beichert and Jim Horell (cha cha)
- Glenn Mahon and Olga Shleyfer (samba)
- Dasha Goykman and TJ Stanton (cha cha/tango)
- Allen Genkin and Erica Ginnetti (rumba)
- Sunny Kim and Leah Gonzalez Greenstein (cha cha)
- Leeza Khalif and Sammy Gulko cha cha (Murray Ave. and Pine Rd. students)
- Señora RenéeVan Naarden and Señor EddyTonik (jive)
- Lance Gifford and Rita Faykina (cha cha)
- Allen Genkin and Amanda Spivack (seque samba)
- Sue and Bob Barnhart (cha cha)
- Stas Khokhlov and Sabrina Olah (rumba)
- Ralph Matlis and Jamie Dorotov (segue samba)
- Craig Freeman and Andrea Wadsworth (samba)
- Yuriy Zakalyuzhnyy and Gabby Natter (cha cha)
- Daniel Tsarik and Susan Arnopolin (cha cha)
- Finale: Amanda Spivack, Val and Allen and ensembleof student dancers to Adele's 'Skyfall.'